Social Development Minister, Maurice Morrow MLA, has published an independent report by a Forum established to identify ways of increasing housing supply, particularly in the private sector.
The Final Report from the Housing Supply Forum, chaired by John Armstrong of the Construction Employers Federation, makes a number of recommendations that will now be considered by the Minister and his Ministerial colleagues.
Publishing the report, Minister Morrow said: “The Final Report of the Housing Supply Forum will have a role to play in highlighting housing supply issues in Northern Ireland. Their recommendations are a welcome contribution to the debate on how to increase housing supply.”
The Housing Supply Forum was established as part of 'Facing the Future – A Housing Strategy for Northern Ireland' to tap into the expertise that exists across the broader housing sector and Government in order to propose workable solutions to improve housing supply.
The Minister continued: “I am grateful to John Armstrong and all the Forum members for their time and commitment in developing this report. The Forum has a vast breadth of knowledge and expertise and it was a unique opportunity to look collectively at the issue.
“Addressing the issues around housing supply in Northern Ireland will take a concerted effort by all the key players. My Department will now take time to consider the Forum’s recommendations. I have also shared the report with Ministerial colleagues who have relevant areas of responsibility, for their consideration - they too will wish to reflect on the recommendations.
“I look forward to continuing to work in partnership with the industry and others in the housing sector, to achieve the vision set out in my Department’s Housing Strategy to meet housing need through ensuring access to decent, affordable, sustainable homes across all tenures.”
Chairman of the Forum, John Armstrong commented: “In Northern Ireland we are currently not building enough houses. Failure to address this deficit will have serious social and economic consequences. We hope that the recommendations of our report, if adopted, will help to rectify this shortfall.”
Notes to editors:
- The Housing Supply Forum report is available on the Department’s website
- The Forum was chaired by John Armstrong, Managing Director of the Construction Employers Federation. Membership of the Forum was made up of representatives of the construction industry, financial institutions, academics and other housing professionals. It was also attended by representatives covering housing, planning, regional development, finance and the Strategic Investment Board.
- Additional information relating to the Forum is available at the DSD website
- Media enquiries should be directed to the DSD Press Office on 028 9082 9233 or e-mail email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.
- Minister Hargey confirms additional funding for councils 02 April 2021
- Minister welcomes job scheme for young people impacted by Covid-19 01 April 2021
- Outdoor Sport opens with careful steps 31 March 2021
- Minister Hargey driving forward regeneration of Fort George in Derry 30 March 2021