Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has said the £500 recognition payment for Supporting People and Homelessness workers who supported some of the most vulnerable in society will start to issue in the coming weeks.
Minister Hargey said:
“Earlier in the year I announced that I would make a payment to workers in Supporting People (SP) and homelessness schemes in recognition of their contribution to supporting the delivery of vital services to some of the most vulnerable in our community. We should see the first payments being made in the coming weeks.
“These workers provide vital support all year round and are valued for all that they do. This payment is in recognition of their hard work through very challenging months to continue to provide the support through the pandemic that many vulnerable people rely on. The Housing Executive is working with the sector to make these payments happen. ”
The Minister announced earlier this year that she was making a one off payment in recognition for the role those employed through the Supporting People (SP) Programme and those in the Homelessness sector have played in delivering critical services during a pandemic.
The payment is being administered by the Housing Executive to eligible organisations.
The recognition payment will be available to over 4000 SP and homelessness staff. The SP programme supports around 20,000 vulnerable people including homeless people, older people, young people, people with physical disabilities, learning disabilities and mental health issues. Through activities such as developing domestic or life skills, developing social skills/behaviour management, finding other accommodation establishing social contacts and activities or gaining access to other services.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey celebrates United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities 03 December 2021
- Hargey releases £2.7million of Covid support to creative individuals 03 December 2021
- Hargey consults to increase protections for people and families at risk of eviction 01 December 2021
- Hargey launches Queen’s Quay development consultation 29 November 2021