Communities Minister Paul Givan MLA today met with Dan Golan, Cultural Attaché for the Israeli Embassy, at Parliament Buildings.
Speaking after the meeting, Minister Givan commented: “The Jewish community has played a significant role in Northern Ireland society and cultural life over many generations. This meeting was a useful opportunity for Dan Golan and I to work together and discuss the positive role the arts can have in strengthening and deepening relationships between cultures and communities.
“I outlined my belief that everyone has a right to creative and cultural expression, and my Department’s ongoing work to develop an overarching Culture and Arts Strategy which will recognise and support interculturalism and cultural diversity.
“It is clear from today’s discussion that we have a shared interest in the arts as a catalyst for building mutual understanding and respect throughout society.”
Mr Golan met the Minister as part of a series of engagements in Northern Ireland. The meeting was also attended by Dr Katy Radford, Institute for Conflict Research, Steven Jaffe, Northern Ireland Friends of Israel and Gerald Steinberg, Vice Chairman of Belfast Jewish Community.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to Department for Communities Press Office, telephone: 028 9082 9233 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI.
- Department for Communities invests in Mid & East Antrim town centre initiatives 02 October 2023
- £55 million of additional benefits claimed through ‘Make the Call’ 02 October 2023
- New Lower Shankill park officially opened 29 September 2023
- Statistics on engagement in culture, arts, heritage and sport released 28 September 2023