The new Department for Communities (DfC) comes into effect today.
The functions of the new department includes:
- the roles and responsibilities of the former Department for Social Development (DSD).
- Employment Service and Economic Inactivity Strategy from the former Department of Employment and Learning (DEL)
- debt advice and financial capability strategy from the former Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment (DETI);
- local government from the former Department of the Environment (DOE), including Built Heritage from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA);
- the existing functions of the former Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL), excluding inland fisheries & waterways.
A number of functions were also transferred from the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister (OFMDFM).
The changes are all part of the ‘Fresh Start’ agreement which involves restructuring the Northern Ireland government departments and reducing them in number from 12 to nine.
An overview of the departmental changes, including their functions, is available at nidirect
News releases from April 2007 are available to view on the Public Records Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
- Reappointment of a Member of the Board of Trustees of WhoWhatWhereWhenWhy (W5) Ltd 13 August 2019
- Three men convicted at Belfast Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 13 August 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 13 August 2019
- Magherafelt pedestrian walkways transformed after £202,000 investment 09 August 2019