The new Department for Communities (DfC) comes into effect today.
The functions of the new department includes:
- the roles and responsibilities of the former Department for Social Development (DSD).
- Employment Service and Economic Inactivity Strategy from the former Department of Employment and Learning (DEL)
- debt advice and financial capability strategy from the former Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment (DETI);
- local government from the former Department of the Environment (DOE), including Built Heritage from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA);
- the existing functions of the former Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL), excluding inland fisheries & waterways.
A number of functions were also transferred from the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister (OFMDFM).
The changes are all part of the ‘Fresh Start’ agreement which involves restructuring the Northern Ireland government departments and reducing them in number from 12 to nine.
An overview of the departmental changes, including their functions, is available at nidirect
News releases from April 2007 are available to view on the Public Records Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
- Armagh woman convicted for £3,000 benefit fraud 22 October 2019
- Belfast man convicted for £1,000 benefit fraud 22 October 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 21 October 2019
- Three convicted at Newry Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 21 October 2019