The Department for Communities has extended the term of appointment of the Chair of NILGOSC (the Committee), Mr Trevor Salmon OBE, and four Committee members from 1 January 2018 to 30 June 2018.
The following Committee Members have also had their terms of appointment extended:
- Mr Lindsay Todd from 1 Jan 2018 to 30 June 2018 (1 previous term – 1 May 2013 to 31 December 2017).
- Mr Joseph Donaghy MBE from 1 Jan 2018 to 30 June 2018 (two previous terms – 1 July 2009 to 30 June 2013 & 1 July 2013 to 31 December 2017).
- Mr Bumper Graham from 1 Jan 2018 to 30 June 2018 (2 previous terms – 1 July 2009 to 30 June 2013 & 1 July 2013 to 31 December 2017).
- Ms Celine McCartan MBE from 1 Jan 2018 to 30 June 2018 (2 previous terms – 1 July 2009 to 30 June 2013 & 1 July 2013 to 31 December 2017).
Notes to editors:
1. NILGOSC is a Non-Departmental Public Body, established under the Local Government (Superannuation) Act 1950. In addition, and in accordance with the designation made by the Department under the Local Government Pension Scheme (Governance) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2015, NILGOSC is the Pension Board of the Local Government Pension Scheme for Northern Ireland (LGPS(NI)).
2. NILGOSC is sponsored by the Department for Communities and plays an important role in the effective administration and management of the pension scheme for district councils and other admitted bodies in Northern Ireland. In addition the Committee is the Pension Board of the Local Government Pension Scheme for Northern Ireland (LGPS (NI)). Further information about NILGOSC can be found at www.nilgosc.org.uk(external link opens in a new window / tab)
3. NILGOSC consists of a Chair and twelve other Members.
4. The Chairman’s post attracts a salary of approximately £13,314 per annum. Members do not receive a salary but are eligible for a daily allowance not exceeding £119 plus reasonable travel expenses payable in line with current Local Government rates.
5. The extensions to the terms of appointment have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland’s (CPA NI) Code of Practice.
6. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires political activity of appointees to be published.
7. Biographical details:
Mr Trevor Salmon OBE
Mr Salmon is currently the Chair of NILGOSC. He was previously the Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Corporate Services for Belfast City Council. He has considerable experience of the Local Government Pension Scheme both as an employer and as a Board Member, having previously served two terms as a committee member of NILGOSC.
He chairs the Pension Trustees for the Association of Accounting Technicians, and is a member of CIPFA’s Pension Panel which informs Government on pension matters and advises Local Authorities across the UK on technical issues in relation to pensions. He is also a Lay Member of the Solicitor’s Disciplinary Tribunal. He has not declared any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
Mr Joseph Donaghy MBE
Mr Donaghy lives in Ballymoney. He is the former Northern Ireland UNISON Regional Head of Health, Government and Education. He is a former independent member of Ballymoney Policing and Community Safety Partnership. He is also a former member of The North Eastern Education & Library Board and Chairman of it’s Finance and General Purposes Committee. He has not declared any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
Mr Bumper Graham
Mr Graham is the Deputy General Secretary of NIPSA and has been a full-time NIPSA Official for 35 years. He is a current member of the Local Government Staff Commission for which he receives a daily allowance of £119 plus expenses, Vice Chair of NILGOSC, Chairperson NIC-ICTU Public Service Pensions Group and Joint Chairperson of the Department of Finance Public Service Pensions Central Consultative Group. He is a member of the NICS Pensions Board and a member of the NICS Pension Scheme Advisory Board, likewise he is a member of the LGPS (NI) Pension Scheme Advisory Board. He has previously been a member of the Education Library Boards Staff Commission, Northern Ireland Partnership Board, Belfast Harbour Commission, COMET and Lisburn Peace and Reconciliation Partnership. He was also a member of the Manpower Council YTP Committee and Chairperson of the South and East Belfast YTP Committee. He has not declared any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
Ms Celine McCartan MBE
Ms McCartan is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland and a Chartered Member of the Institute of Personnel Development. She works in local government as Director of Corporate Services and Governance at Fermanagh & Omagh District Council. She was first appointed to the NILGOSC Management Committee in 2009 and has contributed to the organisation in different roles connected to this appointment.
Ms McCartan is a member of the Governing Body of Loreto Grammar School, Omagh and Omagh North Nursery School. In addition, she undertakes a number of voluntary roles in relation to children’s and carers support, disability organisations and charities. She has not declared any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
Mr Lindsay Todd
Mr Todd has lengthy experience in the pension fund industry and was, until his retirement, a partner in a leading international professional services firm. He currently serves on the NI Judicial Appointments Commission for which he receives £294 per day, the advisory committee to the NI Central Investment Fund for Charities and is a member of the Development Board at Marie Curie. He is also a member of the Investment Committee at Queen’s University Belfast, a member of the Northern Ireland Investment Fund Scrutiny Board, together with the Disciplinary Panel of the Chartered Accountants Regulatory Board in Ireland. He has not declared any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
8. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3509 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383.
9. Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Extension of appointments to the Board of National Museums NI 17 May 2019
- Suspended sentence for benefit fraud 15 May 2019
- Developer Appointed for Queen’s Parade, Bangor 14 May 2019
- Conditional discharge for benefit fraud 14 May 2019