The second term of appointment of the Chair of the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) has been extended from 1 February 2019 to 31 July 2019:
- Mr Jim Perry
He has served on the USEL Board since 1 August 2012.
The second term of appointment of the following Members of the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) have been extended from 1 February 2019 to 31 July 2019:
- Dr Gavin Adams
- Mr Aidan Bennett
They have both served on the USEL Board since 11 April 2012.
The second term of appointment of the following Member of the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) has been extended from 1 January 2019 to 30 April 2019:
- Mr Trevor Hinds
He has served on the USEL Board since 1 January 2013.
The second term of appointment of the following Member of the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) has been extended from 16 March 2019 to 30 April 2019:
- Mr Donald Mackay
He has served on the USEL Board since 16 March 2013.
Notes to editors:
1. USEL is a Non-Departmental Public Body of the Department for Communities. It was established in 1962 to provide supported paid employment for disabled people. Approximately 70% of employees at its manufacturing facility in Belfast have a disability or heath related condition. Today USEL is the largest supporter of people with disabilities within Northern Ireland with offices in Belfast, Londonderry, Portadown and Omagh. Each year the company supports over 1500 people with disabilities in more than 750 companies to enter and sustain economic employment through its various employment programmes.
2. Board Members receive remuneration of £135 for each board meeting attended. Travel and subsistence allowances for official business will be payable. Any extra work undertaken will be paid at an hourly rate.
3. The extensions have been made in accordance with the Code of Practice for Ministerial Public Appointments issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments NI.
4. All appointments and extension to appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
5. Biographical details:
Mr James Perry
Mr Perry is a Chartered Accountant, and a Member of the Pharmaceutical Society for Northern Ireland. He is a Member of the Gallaher Trust which was has been established to help promote job opportunities in Ballymena and is also Vice Chair of the Ballymena Business centre. He is a former Chair of the Northern Ireland Social Care Council. He was awarded an MBE for his services to Ballymena and has worked with the Ahoghill ‘In Bloom’ team for many years. He is currently the Clerk to the Lieutenancy of County Antrim and has previously served on the Board of Governors of several schools. He brings a range of skills based on his experience of serving on various boards to USEL. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
Dr Gavin Adams
Dr Adams is currently the Director of Business Development in Extern where he is responsible for providing leadership to Extern’s income generation, communications and marketing, and public affairs activity – skills which he brings to the USEL Board, as well as a passion for the voluntary sector. He was formerly Senior Manager for Business Development for the Royal National Institute of Blind People. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
Mr Aidan Bennett
Mr Bennett is a qualified Company Director and Business Consultant, having worked in a number of management consultancy companies. He is currently a Board Member of Relate NI. He has a strong background in governance, risk management and assurance, and is a qualified Management of Risk practitioner. He brings a wealth of such experience to the Board based on his work across the public and private sectors. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
Mr Trevor Hinds
Mr Hinds is the Principal at Trevor Hinds Consultancy. He has previously been a Director in Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC) and was a General Manager and Company Secretary for International Factors (NI) Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Ireland. Mr Hinds is currently a Board Member and Trustee of Mindwise Limited. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
Mr Donald Mackay
Mr Donald Mackay is a former senior manager in the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service. He has previously held a position as local councillor on Craigavon Borough Council. He has a vast array of knowledge and experience, working as Senior Fire Officer and also through the work in the community as an elected representative. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
6. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3502 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 90378110.
7. Follow the Department on Twitter
- Bring an item with personal meaning to PRONI to explore memory and identity. 21 November 2019
- Lisburn woman convicted for £9,000 benefit fraud 19 November 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 19 November 2019
- Make the Call supports over 9000 people claim £43.2million in additional benefits and supports. 18 November 2019