The Department for Communities has extended the first term appointment of Ms Geraldine Donaghy, Commissioner of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland, from 1 January 2018 to 30 June 2018.
Ms Donaghy has served one term of appointment as a Commissioner since 7 May 2013.
Notes to editors:
1. The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland (CCNI) was established as the regulator of charities operating in Northern Ireland following the enactment of the Charities (Northern Ireland) Act 2008. The main functions of CCNI are to keep a public register of charities; encourage, facilitate and monitor compliance with charity law; determine charity status; identify and investigate misconduct in charity administration and take remedial or protective action as necessary.
2. The board of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland comprises a Chief Commissioner, a Deputy Chief Commissioner and five Commissioners. The Chief Commissioner receives remuneration of £5,750 per annum, the Deputy Chief Commissioner £3,450 and Commissioners £2,300 per annum in respect of their appointments.
3. This extended appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
4. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
5. Ms Donaghy was formerly Chief Executive of the Confederation of Community Groups, Newry & Mourne. Ms Donaghy has wide experience of the N.I. Charity and Voluntary sector and has particular skills in the area of governance and compliance. Previously she has served as a Trustee of the Community Foundation for N.I. and a Non-Executive Director of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority. She is currently a Non-Executive Director on the Southern Health & Social Care Board for which she receives £7,960 per annum. Ms Donaghy has declared no political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
6. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3509 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
7. Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI