Following a recent consultation, the Department for Communities (DfC) has concluded that a change to current law would beneficial.
The Department consulted on a proposal to provide DfC with the power to designate an event taking place in Northern Ireland as a ‘special event’. The Department considered that the move would benefit the hospitality and tourism sectors in Northern Ireland, particularly as we approach the 148th Open, the largest sporting event ever to be held in Northern Ireland.
Whilst there was some opposition, the response to the consultation was broadly favourable, and such a move does have clear economic benefits to Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors:-
- The Department consulted on the proposal from 22 March 2019 – 3 May 2019. The consultation received 239 responses. The Consultation Outcome Report can be viewed online
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 of email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Office on 028 90378110
- Follow us on Twitter - @CommunitiesNI
- 800th anniversary of PRONI’s oldest document 12 June 2019
- New appointments and reappointments to the Charities Advisory Committee 11 June 2019
- Suspended sentence for benefit fraud 11 June 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 10 June 2019