Following a recent consultation, the Department for Communities (DfC) has concluded that a change to current law would beneficial.
The Department consulted on a proposal to provide DfC with the power to designate an event taking place in Northern Ireland as a ‘special event’. The Department considered that the move would benefit the hospitality and tourism sectors in Northern Ireland, particularly as we approach the 148th Open, the largest sporting event ever to be held in Northern Ireland.
Whilst there was some opposition, the response to the consultation was broadly favourable, and such a move does have clear economic benefits to Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors:-
- The Department consulted on the proposal from 22 March 2019 – 3 May 2019. The consultation received 239 responses. The Consultation Outcome Report can be viewed online
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 of email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Office on 028 90378110
- Follow us on Twitter - @CommunitiesNI
- PRONI welcomes continuation of CAIN partnership 19 August 2019
- Warrenpoint man convicted for £7,000 benefit fraud 19 August 2019
- Reappointment of a Member of the Board of Trustees of WhoWhatWhereWhenWhy (W5) Ltd 13 August 2019
- Three men convicted at Belfast Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 13 August 2019