The Department for Communities (DfC) has launched a consultation on gambling law in Northern Ireland.
The public and stakeholders are being consulted on the effectiveness of the current legislation. The Department is also seeking to identify changes which should be included in any new gambling legislation.
Launching the consultation today, Tracy Meharg, DfC Permanent Secretary said: “I know that the gambling industry is an important employer in Northern Ireland and that gambling is an activity which is enjoyed responsibly by a large number of people.
“However it is very important to recognise that for some people, gambling has the potential to cause considerable harm. Any future changes to the law must balance the interests of the gambling industry with the need for regulation to protect vulnerable people.”
Tracy Meharg continued: “There is no doubt that the current legislation is outdated and has not kept pace with industry and technological changes.
“This consultation will allow everyone with an interest in gambling to share their views on the current legislation and will put the Department in a position to offer the best advice to an incoming Minister on the future regulatory framework. I would encourage all those with an interest in Northern Ireland gambling law to take the opportunity to contribute to this consultation.”
The consultation period will run from 16 December 2019 to 21 February 2020.
Details of the consultation documents can be found online.
Notes to editors:
- Hard copies of the consultation package can be requested by e-mailing email@example.com or by writing to the following address
Regulation of Gambling in Northern Ireland Consultation
Social Policy Unit
1-7 Bedford Street
- Media enquiries should be directed to the DfC Press Office on 028 90823516 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 90378110.
- Extension of appointment to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive 24 February 2020
- Young ambassadors empowered to deliver change in their community 19 February 2020
- Work underway on upgrade of Derry’s Bonds Hill 10 February 2020
- Ministers launch Special Olympics Ireland Winter Games 05 February 2020