Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has confirmed that payments to protect people from the ‘bedroom tax’ and Tory government welfare cuts will be extended for a further three years.
The extension closes existing loopholes on the ‘bedroom tax’ and benefit cap and provides financial support to low-paid workers, families and vulnerable people.
Minister Hargey said:
“This ensures that low-paid workers, families and vulnerable people will continue to be protected from the ‘bedroom tax’ and the effects of Tory government welfare cuts.
“It will also close loopholes, meaning that over 600 families with children who are denied payments, will receive them.
“In the face of increasingly tough economic conditions and a cost-of-living crisis facing low-paid workers and families, this is a really positive move.”
Minister Hargey also outlined a plan to review the protection schemes within the next three years.
The Minister continued:
“The extension of the welfare protection payments and the closing of the loopholes is long overdue and is something to build on moving forward.
“The schemes will be kept under review, and I will be announcing details of an Independent Review Panel to examine existing welfare protection measures in the near future.
“I am determined to ensure that those people who need these supports will continue to receive them.
“I would also like to acknowledge the many individuals and organisations who have worked on having these vital protections extended, such as the Cliff Edge Coalition.
“Securing this extension now means progress can be made within the current mandate.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: I am determined that my department will continue to deliver for all those who are in need 19 May 2022
- Applications open for the All-Ireland Heritage Skills Programme 06 May 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. 07 April 2022
- Hargey announces establishment of Child Funeral Fund 27 March 2022