Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA has thanked Assembly members for swiftly passing legislation to strengthen protection to private renters during the COVID-19 crisis.
The Private Tenancies (Coronavirus Modifications) Bill was introduced into the Assembly 21 April 2020 and had its final stage today (Tuesday 28 April).
It will mean that landlords will be required to give tenants a 12 week notice to quit period, ensuring tenancies are protected throughout this period.
Minister Hargey said:
“It was necessary to introduce measures to help prevent households having to leave their homes.
“This legislation will protect private renters, securing their accommodation, allowing them to protect their health and reducing the movement of people. It will enable vulnerable people to shield, self-isolate and social distance.
“Private renters continue to be a group facing significant concerns and anxiety during this period in particular due to loss of employment. In these extraordinary times people who may temporarily struggle to pay their rent through no fault of their own, need certainty in the meantime that their homes are safe and that their landlords can’t evict them.
“This legislation will ensure that no renter in private accommodation will be forced out of their home during this difficult time. Landlords will now be required to give tenants 12 weeks’ notice to quit before seeking a court order to begin proceedings to evict.”
The Minister concluded:
“I would like to thank all the Assembly members and the Communities Committee for their support and help in getting this legislation through so quickly as well all the supporting officials in the Department and Assembly. Everyone has understood why it is urgent and gone above and beyond to prepare and process the Bill quickly.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Minister Publishes Expert Advisory Panel Reports on Social Inclusion Strategies 05 March 2021
- Competition to appoint new Members to the Board of Sport NI 04 March 2021
- Hargey announces £230,000 investment in Craigavon 03 March 2021
- Appointment of a Trustee to the Board of Governors and three Members to the Management Committee of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium 03 March 2021