The booklet below gives an overview of the Ministerial Advisory Group for Architecture and the Built Environment in Northern Ireland.
The MAG has developed guidance on Creative Consultation for the Strategic Investment Board. The on-line toolkit will provide NICS departments and agencies with the methodologies and support to develop and implement more creative and innovative approaches to community engagement and consultation.
Creative Consultation aims to inform and inspire all those tasked with the creation and management of a consultation process. It relates specifically to medium to large capital projects, undertaken for the public sector in Northern Ireland. Going beyond the minimum requirements of consultation brings many benefits.
Not only does it greatly reduce risks associated with project delivery it also contributes to the sustained success of its outcome. To be effective, consultation must be integrated throughout a project timeline, rather than confined to one specific stage. This should include consultation at the earliest inception stage.
All successful consultation processes share a number of common principles. These should be kept constantly in mind whilst creating a consultation and through every stage of delivery.Creating a consultation needs careful planning and preparation. These steps should be used to help guide this process.
Design reviews form a major role and activity for the MAG. To date three forms of review have taken place:
- pre-planning application
- post planning application referrals
- referrals by government funders
The design review documents are available on the following page:
- The Principles of Sustainable Design
- MAG - Well into the Second Term
- MAG - The First Three Years Report
- MAG - Mid-Term Report: Raising Expectations
- MAG - Civic Stewardship Reports
- MAG - Position paper - Meanwhile Uses
- MAG - Position Paper - Heritage Regeneration
Ministerial Advisory Group for Architecture and the Built Environment: Placemaking Symposium 2017
- Placemaking Symposium, 22 October 2015: presentations and supporting documents
- Civic Stewardship Symposium, Ligoniel Activity Centre, 21 November 2013 information and Civic Stewardship Reports
- Planning for Places, The Navan Centre, Armagh, 7 September 2010: presentations and supporting documents
MAG responses to public consultations
A list of the Ministerial Advisory Group for Architecture and the Built Environment responses to public consultations can be accessed through the Publications page.
MAG attendance at events