What happened in Northern Ireland?
In Northern Ireland, the Historic Environment Division, Tourism Northern Ireland, and the Heritage Lottery Fund worked together to leverage opportunities presented by the initiative. Events relevant to the year’s theme were collated by the Division and advertised on Discover NI and workshops were undertaken with the heritage and arts sectors.
A joint grant scheme was developed to with the aim of creatively exploring ways to fully realise the potential of the cultural heritage to act as a lever to attract additional investment, boost tourism and aid regeneration. The following projects were supported.
- Great Lighthouses Unlocking our Maritime Heritage - The Irish Landmark Trust
- Walls Alive 400 – Bringing the Walls to life through Augmented Reality - Derry and Strabane District Council
- Linenopolis -, Linen Hall Library
- Sea Gods Shipwrecks & Sidhe Folk – a treasure trail revealing the rich Causeway heritage - Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council
- Shaped by Industry – Shared with Pride - Mid and East Antrim Borough Council
- One For The Heart Pilot - Lagan Navigation Trust
- Journeying Beyond Westeros: Warlords and Gallowglass – Adventures in Medieval Ulster - Queen’s University Belfast & Strangford and Lecale Partnership
- Museum Lates - Northern Ireland Museums Council
- Relating Histories - Fermanagh and Omagh District Council
Two conferences and seminars were held with the heritage and arts sectors to explore how the creativity and partnership unlocked during the year could be developed into the future.